Thursday, November 15, 2012

MSCC Names Kenneth Cunningham 2012-13 Academic All-Star

Mid-South Community College student Kenneth Cunningham from Marion has earned Arkansas Association of Two-Year Colleges (AATYC) Academic All-Star recognition for 2012-2013.

The 2010 Marion High School graduate received formal acknowledgment of his accomplishment at the recent AATYC Fall Conference, and he will receive a $500 scholarship for MSCC’s spring semester.

When notified about the honor, “I was a little shocked,” Cunningham said. “I didn’t think I was even in the running. I was really excited when I found out, and I was proud of myself because I didn’t think I would ever reach a stage of being able to be labeled an Academic All-Star. It really made me happy and made me want to push myself more.”

“I’ve always worked hard in school and wanted to make good grades just because I wanted to, not necessarily because I wanted to reach a certain goal. That award just made me feel like everything I’ve done has been worth it. To be labeled the ‘best of the best’ is really special. I am thankful for the opportunity to represent Mid-South Community College as an Academic All-Star.”

Cunningham enrolled in the MSCC Technical Center’s Advanced Manufacturing program in 2008. The quality of his classroom work allowed him to join the National Technical Honor Society, and he earned a certificate of proficiency in 2010. That fall he enrolled full-time in MSCC’s general education program.

He made a great impression on Mid-South faculty and staff.

“Kenneth exemplifies determination, commitment and courage as a leader in our Student Activities endeavors, and more importantly, in his academic pursuits at MSCC,” said Tony Wilson, Student Activities Coordinator. “He has raised the bar for other traditional male students to lead in professionalism, respect, commitment to excellence and connecting with campus life.”

“From the first day he walked into my class, I recognized Kenneth’s authentic leadership qualities,” added Roy Germain, MSCC Advanced Manufacturing instructor.

“He is a very good student who has always exhibited a quest for learning and the ability
to achieve his career and personal goals.

“He is a fine and upstanding young man, and I am truly proud of his success. I feel confident that this is only the beginning of the many great things he will accomplish.”

Dr. Azah Abanda, MSCC Science faculty member, described Cunningham as “an excellent pick for prestigious AATYC Academic All-Star. I first met Kenneth in the spring of 2012 when he enrolled in my physical science class. He is an outstanding student with great work ethic.”

“He worked really well with his peers during group laboratory exercises, and he organized study groups that encouraged peer-to-peer learning in and out of the classroom.”

“Kenneth is an extremely intelligent, profoundly articulate, and very hardworking student,” said Daniel Turner, Communications Instructor. “He has the potential to lead and excel wherever his path may guide him in the future.”

Cunningham, whose family moved from Conway to Marion when he was in the fifth grade, wants to become a teacher and plans to transfer to Arkansas State University after completing his Associate of Arts degree at MSCC.

“I like the idea of being able to impart knowledge into young people,” he explained. “Men are needed in education, and there aren’t many African American males either, so I think I can have a big impact as a teacher. Sometimes, a teacher can be the inspiration that can help kids who are on wrong track or going down the wrong road to change. I think it’s going to be rewarding.”

He also admitted that he likes the idea of “job security. They’re always going to need teachers,” he pointed out.

At MSCC, Cunningham serves as president of the Brother 2 Brother Mentoring program and a member of one of the College’s committees. He graduated from the STAND Leadership Institute in the spring and participated in Black History Month activities on the Mid-South campus in February.
He described his experience at the College as “extremely enriching and gratifying.”

“I have learned so much, participated in many great activities, and have been afforded momentous opportunities,” Cunningham said. “I have traveled to Hot Springs, to Little Rock and to the Pulaski Tech campus to participate in competitions and training conferences in the last year.”

“Each semester a new experience awaits, and I anxiously embrace them. I truly value the opportunities I have enjoyed while a student on the Mid-South Community College campus.”

Cunningham joins a distinguished group of MSCC students who have been honored by the institution and the two-year college association. Previous MSCC Academic All-Star winners include Pat Crume, Danielle Abner, Chris Sherrill, Erna Bass, Jasmine Grayson, Lori Hall, Corey Platt, Nonda Mitchell, Faye Flowers, Allison Covington, Bonnie Nichols, Roneshia Hill, Susan Madison, and Brandy McAdams.

For information on the All-Star program or other scholarship/financial assistance opportunities at Mid-South Community College, please call (870) 733-6729. For general information about the college, please call (870) 733-6728, see the website at www.midsouthcc.edu, email admissions@midsouthcc.edu, or visit the campus at 2000 West Broadway in West Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment