Tuesday, April 17, 2012

MSCC Student to Participate in Arkansas 2032 Conference

Lori King-Wilson of West Memphis will represent Mid-South Community College at the Arkansas 2032 Conference at the University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service April 27-28.
 
The conference, coordinated by graduate student Nate Looney, will bring together student representatives from Arkansas public and private higher education institutions to critically assess and offer solutions for some of the most pressing issues in the state over the next 20 years.

“I think it’s very important to be involved and to have a voice, even if it’s not a big voice,” King-Wilson said. “From what I understand, they’re wanting the opinions of ‘common people,’ and I think that’s good. Arkansas is my home, and I’m looking forward to the opportunity to contribute to the discussion.”
 
She said she anticipates discussion about politics, economic development, health care, and education during the two-day event in Little Rock.
 
King-Wilson and other student representatives were selected based on their academic excellence, demonstrated leadership ability, and interest in engaging in issue and policy discussions.
 
“After reviewing the recommendations of our Student Activities Committee, we selected Lori King-Wilson without hesitation,” said Tony Wilson, MSCC Student Activities Coordinator. “It was especially important to us to select a student who exemplified commitment and passion about his or her academic pursuit at MSCC in addition to being actively involved in student activities and organizations.”
 
“We also wanted to ensure we had representation from a non-traditional student from Eastern Arkansas to show the unlimited possibilities and opportunities that are presented at MSCC for this population. Lori’s success in the classroom and campus involvement has never faltered.”
 
King-Wilson, who has lived in Crittenden County since the sixth grade, participates in STAND (Strive Toward A New Direction) Leadership training at MSCC, and she also serves as vice president of the College’s chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.
 
Working toward a bachelor’s degree in Addiction Counseling through the University of Central Arkansas and MSCC’s University Center, King-Wilson will graduate in December. She will finish all of her coursework this semester and will participate in an internship during the fall term.
 
“My real passion is helping children,” she said. “I am a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) volunteer, and that is what got me interested in the Addiction Studies program. In almost all of the cases I have worked, the parents have been on drugs.”
 
“That got me thinking if I could help the parents and make a difference in their lives before it affects their children, I could help the kids. When I do my internship, I’ll know a little bit more what I want to do, whether it be a treatment center or drug court. There are so many different things you can do with that degree.”
 
King-Wilson began taking classes at MSCC in the early 1990s but quit school to start a family. She later operated a children’s clothing consignment store and then spent nine years at Country Squire before the business closed.
 
“When they closed, I decided it was now or never to go back to school,” she said. When she returned in 2010 (as a single mom with five children), she discovered she only needed a computer class to finish an associate degree. King-Wilson enrolled in additional Mid-South and UCA classes to work toward her bachelor’s degree and took everything either at the campus or online.
 
“It hasn’t been easy, especially this semester,” King-Wilson said. “I’m taking 16 hours, so it’s been pretty tough. But there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, and that’s what I keep looking at.”
 
“The first semester back was a little rough, getting back into the habits of studying. Time management has been a big thing for me because my children are very active. They play sports, and they’re involved everything. Just trying to manage all of that and make sure I still have time to study is a challenge.”
 
King-Wilson said there is no way she could have pursued a new career if not for MSCC, the University Center, and the partnership with UCA.
 
“I’m very thankful for the college and the opportunities that it affords people in the community, especially people like me who can’t go live on a college campus,” King-Wilson said. “It has been very convenient.”
 
She said she needed a local opportunity because she wanted her children to have a better sense of home than she did as a youngster. Her father served in the U.S. Air Force, “so we moved a lot – 12 times in 13 years. It was hard moving.”
 
“When we moved here, we stayed a while, and I decided that if I could help it at all, I wouldn’t do that to my kids. So I’m still here. I don’t have any family here other than my kids, but it’s home.”
 
For information about life-changing educational programs and opportunities at MSCC, call 870-733-6728, email admissions@midsouthcc.edu, check out the website at www.midsouthcc.edu, or visit the campus at 2000 West Broadway in West Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment