Tuesday, April 14, 2015

MSCC Introduces Sonja Tate as Lady Greyhounds’ Coach


Mid-South Community College formally introduced Sonja Tate as its women’s basketball coach on April 10, and the Crittenden County native had to rein in her emotions while addressing the large crowd.

“Honestly, I did not know this was going to be so enormous,” said Tate, a member of the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame and a former professional player in the U.S., France, Russia, and Spain. “I just thought I was going to slide in here and start coaching. I kind of got emotional back there (during the introduction); I’m going to try not to get emotional here.”

“I appreciate Dr. (Glen) Fenter, Coach (Andy) Stoglin, and Coach (Chris) Parker for believing in me and giving me this opportunity to come back home to be able to give back. You’re going to get my all because that’s all I know how to do. Nothing has ever been given to me; I’ve had to work for everything.”

Tate succeeds interim coach Andy Stoglin as the leader of the women’s basketball program. Stoglin played a major role in guiding Tate to MSCC.

“After I read her resume and saw all of the things that she has done coming from this community, there was no doubt in my mind that she was the right person for this job,” said Stoglin who was also instrumental in establishing Mid-South’s athletic program.

Dr. Fenter said the addition of Tate to the athletic staff is a godsend.

“We’re certainly excited to have someone of Sonja’s caliber engaged in what we’re trying to do and are confident she can help us take this program to the next level.”

“When you can add a coach and the rest of the state and the country says, ‘Wow!’ you know you’ve done something right. To make that happen on the budget we have and where we live certainly takes divine intervention.”

Parker, who coaches the men’s team and serves as athletic director, read Tate’s impressive resume to the crowd as part of his introduction.

“I want to make sure that we convey the caliber of coach and former player that we’ve been able to hire,” he said. “It is not often a college has the opportunity to hire both a homegrown talent and a former professional player, but we have done just that.”

Tate said she considers her playing accomplishments old history and is focusing on the future.

“I don’t like talking about the things I’ve done in my playing career because that’s over, as one of my players said last year. When I came back on her, I said, ‘Well, I had a day, so you try to get a day.’”

“That’s what I want to develop in our players so they will have the opportunity for their day where they can say, ‘I made a difference, or I’m making a difference.’ That’s what I’m here to do, to make a difference and give back to my community.”

Tate said she wants to influence the Lady Greyhounds’ lives as her coaches did for her. She specifically mentioned her high school coach, Ron Gean, who attended the introduction event.
“What he instilled in me in high school and what I saw in him – the hard work and the time that he’s given to me – made me want to give back to other young ladies.”

“I will strive to be the best that I can be here. I will strive to push and develop young ladies to not only be great basketball players but to be great women. I want to help them achieve their goals as people have helped me.”

Tate said she her story isn’t exactly like the stories of today’s players but added it isn’t all that different either.

“My circumstances were a little different than what I will be coaching but not so different. I could have easily gone to junior college because I struggled. I was one of those athletes that was struggling to get that ACT, not that I didn’t have the quality or the talent to get there, I just had some stumbling blocks. I think a lot of athletes face those types of things.”

Tate says she will seek players who love the game, who are determined to succeed, and who want to excel off the court as well.

“When I went to Arkansas State, I didn’t think of statistics or any of those things,” she said. “I just loved the game. Those are the type of young ladies that I’m going to recruit. I want to help them develop into the best women that they can possibly be.”

The new MSCC coach expressed appreciation for the warm welcome.

“I really want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting me. I’ve always been a down-home girl, and it’s good to be back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment