Monday, August 20, 2012

MSCC Hires Forrest City Native as VP for Learning and Instruction

Dr. Cliff E. Jones, a Forrest City native who worked previously at the University of Arkansas Community College at Batesville, has been named Vice President for Learning and Instruction at Mid-South Community College.

“We are pleased to have Dr. Jones join the MSCC team, and we’re looking forward to the
contributions he will make to our academic programs and initiatives,” said Dr. Barbara Baxter, Executive Vice President. “He strongly supports quality teaching and active student learning, both of which are very important to our institution.”

“Dr. Jones is also very knowledgeable about national and state issues and policies which affect community colleges. He is dedicated to providing quality academic programs and services that promote a strong citizenry and economic advancement for eastern Arkansas.”

Jones, who served as Vice Chancellor for Academics at UACCB for four years, said MSCC’s reputation led him to pursue the position.

“I have watched Mid-South Community College grow from afar over the past 15- 20 years,” Jones said. “My previous positions allowed me to witness Mid-South’s accomplishments and the sterling reputation it has earned from its peers across the state.”

“It is regarded as a highly innovative, entrepreneurial, student-centered institution, and to be a part of that is very exciting. My experience coupled with the dedication of those who have made MSCC what is today, creates a formidable team.”

In addition, his move brings him closer to his Delta roots.

“Whether I was in Fayetteville, Austin, Baton Rouge, Houston or Batesville, I have always considered the Arkansas Delta my home,” Jones pointed out. “I have many dear friends still in the area. My childhood was spent in Forrest City, and this was an opportunity for me to come back and contribute to the college and the community.”

“My position with UACCB allowed me to return my home state. Even when I lived in the foothills, however, I always maintained my Delta citizenship. I’m very proud of it.”

Jones attended the University of Arkansas and earned a bachelor of science degree in Business Administration.

At the time, both of his parents were involved in higher education at Northwest Arkansas Community College (his mother, Dr. Anita E. Jones, continues to serve as Dean of Arts and Communication while his father, attorney Louis B. “Bucky” Jones, is retired from NWACC). Jones thought he wanted to try something different but soon found it clashed with his DNA.

“As is the case with many young adults, I did not feel that I would enter the field in which my parents were involved,” he explained. “I tried other professions, but I realized that I enjoyed the academic environment in general and teaching in particular.”

“Working as a graduate and teaching assistant became the catalyst to what has become a career in higher education. I wanted to teach when I was at the university. Once I did it, I knew I would always be involved in education. It was just a natural attraction.”

Jones continued his education by earning a master’s degree in Public Administration from U of A and a Ph.D. in Educational Administration from the University of Texas at Austin.

He began his full-time career as an educator as Executive Assistant to the Chancellor and Political Science instructor at Baton Rouge Community College in Louisiana. From there, he moved to the Houston, Texas, area to work at Lone Star College-Cy Fair as Dean of Arts and Technology and Department Chair for Government, Sociology, Psychology, and Criminal Justice.

In 2008, Jones returned to Arkansas to work at UACCB.

While his VP job will keep him out of the classroom, he said it won’t keep him from impacting what happens in MSCC’s learning environment.

“I’ve always said that administration is just like teaching, but your audience isn’t as captive,” he said. “My heart is in the classroom. My experience as a graduate assistant, adjunct faculty member and founding faculty member were some of the most fulfilling years that I have spent in higher education.”

“But you realize over time that instructors need solid leadership to do their job well, and it takes someone who understands the classroom and also the administrative side to make that work. My reward is seeing other instructors develop their own leadership skills and providing them with the support they need to get the job done.”

Jones said his immediate priorities include helping the college prepare for an accreditation site visit next year and working with MSCC instructors and administrators to keep the institution at the forefront of educational excellence and innovation.

“For the accreditation process, we need to make sure we do everything right and meet those expectations. Correspondingly, I intend to meet the people who have worked here a long time and listen to their insights and observations. My goal is to facilitate improvement in areas of opportunity and to help us do things that are already functioning at a higher level even better.”

When he’s not busy with academic pursuits, Jones enjoys enjoy running, tennis, travel, reading, and music. He is currently working on a research project focused on blues music history in Crittenden and St. Francis counties.

He maintains a close relationship with his brother, Carter, who is a corporate vendor to Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment