Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lady Greyhound Center Signs with Rust College

Jozetta Wright, a two-year starter for the Mid-South Community College Lady Greyhounds, has signed to continue her basketball career and higher education at Rust College in Holly Springs, Miss.

“This is a very big opportunity for me, and I’m so grateful to further my education because years ago I didn’t think I was college material,” Wright said. “I am so grateful and thankful to Mid-South Community College because the people there have done a lot for me. I’m very humbled.”

“It’s very big for me, not just basketball wise, but for my education and my life. I have a son (who turned four on the day his mom signed), and this is letting him know that anything is possible.”

Wright, 23, graduated from MSCC with an Associate of Arts degree in May. A product of West Memphis High School, she became the first Lady Greyhound to earn a two-year degree and the second to continue her playing career at a four-year institution.

“We are so proud of her for accomplishing the goals she set at MSCC and for moving on and setting new goals,” said Lady Greyhounds Coach Kimberly Turner. “I’m very excited for her. I love her dedication and commitment to doing what she wants to do. She knows what she wants, and she’s going out to get it.”

Nancy Hogan, Director of MSCC’s TRiO Student Support Services program, said Jozetta has worked hard to succeed.

“She is an example of the successful students we serve who achieve their goals as a result of hard work, perseverance and family support,” Hogan said. “I know that her mother, Vanester Wright (also a graduate of MSCC), has been a role model for her.”

“It has been a joy for the TRIO SSS staff to share this remarkable journey with Jozetta, and we have higher expectations for her as she moves forward in pursuit of her future goals.”

Wright said that while basketball was a factor in her decision to attend Rust College, it was not the overriding concern.

“Out of all the colleges I applied for, I liked Rust the most because they have a great broadcasting/communications program and studio,” she said. “I want to be on TV, especially on
the news, and Rust will give me that opportunity. I also model, so if I can use television to get my
foot in the door with modeling, that will help.”

Wright said the college’s proximity to her home also contributed to her decision.

“The campus is also only an hour away, so it’s not far from home, and that’s another reason. It wasn’t really basketball; that was just extra. But I’m excited that the coach wants me to play.”

Wright, 6-1, played inside for the Greyhounds and will likely do the same for the Bearcats. Rust’s tallest players this past season stood 6-2 and 6-1.The 2011-12 Lady Bearcats roster included players from Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.

Rust College competes in Division III and plays schools like Birmingham Southern University, Millsaps College, Bethel University, Hendrix College, Rhodes College, Union University, Christian Brothers University, Webster College, LaGrange College, Mississippi Valley State University, Fisk University, and Berry College.

No comments:

Post a Comment