Thursday, June 20, 2013

Two MSCC Students Earn $10,000 Hino Scholarships

Clinton Jones and Jordan White, 2013 graduates of Marion High School, have been named recipients of $10,000 Hino Motors Manufacturing scholarships and will continue their education at Mid-South Community College this fall.

“I wasn’t really expected to go to college because of my financial situation, but scholarships are really helping,” said Jones, who is working two jobs to help support his mother and sisters. “When we found out about the scholarship, my mom was speechless; she couldn’t stop smiling. This scholarship really means a lot to me.”

“I’ve always wanted to design engines for airplanes, and this scholarship will help me toward that goal,” said White who is enrolled in general education classes this summer at MSCC. “I didn’t have the faintest idea I would get the scholarship.”

“I was at SkillsUSA (in Hot Springs) when the letter arrived. My mother called me and said, ‘There’s something waiting for you when you get home.’ I had to go the entire three-day trip wondering what it was. When I walked in, I was like, ‘Yes!’”

Ed Rowlettt, general manager of the Hino’s Marion facility, praised the young men for their achievements.

“You should be proud of what you’ve accomplished,” he said. “It has taken a lot of work, and you should feel good about that. I encourage you to get as much knowledge as you can because once you get it, nobody can take it away from you.”

MSCC President Dr. Glen Fenter concurred.

“You should be very proud of yourselves; earning a scholarship of that magnitude is quite an honor. You young men should also be very appreciative of what Hino is doing for you. They’re giving you a fantastic opportunity, and we’re all expecting you to make great things happen.”

“We’re very appreciative of the fact that Hino continues to offer this scholarship opportunity,” Dr. Fenter continued. “It is a great expression of their commitment to our community.”

Dr. Callie Dunavin, MSCC Director of the Arkansas Delta Training and Education Consortium (ADTEC), said Jones and White, MSCC Technical Center students in 2012-13, made a major impression on the scholarship selection committee.

“The committee interviewed several students, and it was the consensus without any discussion that Jordan and Clinton had surfaced as the top two,” said Dr. Dunavin, a non-voting participant in the selection process. “Both are good students and have demonstrated a lot of potential, and we think they will be very successful.”

The Hino Motors Manufacturing USA assistance program provides awards valued at up to $10,000 over a student’s four years of post-secondary education. Recipients must be enrolled (initially) at an Arkansas Delta Training & Education Consortium (ADTEC) college and must pursue an Associate of Applied Science degree in Advanced Manufacturing or related field. The scholarship can later be applied to courses leading to a bachelor’s degree in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics major.

Hino established the scholarship by following the vision of its one-time president, Mr. Yasuo Tanigawa, who sought to further the development of manufacturing in the area. A strong believer in education, Mr. Tanigawa often expressed that learning should be a lifelong endeavor.

Scholarships are awarded to the top applicants graduating from high schools in the 12-county ADTEC region. Preferential consideration is given to students graduating with a Certificate of Proficiency in Advanced Manufacturing Technology or related manufacturing certificate as a result of their enrollment in a Secondary Area Technical Center program.

Jones, who has already completed six courses toward an Associate of Applied Science degree, said he plans to pursue a career in machining.

“I like making stuff with machines, and I also like taking stuff apart and putting it back together,” he said.

Jones, currently working as a car detailer and fast-food restaurant employee, said he is excited about the challenge of additional higher education while also shouldering significant family responsibilities.

“I have the knowledge and desire to succeed in college life,” he said. “I’ve actually done better in college than I did in high school. It’s going to be hard work, but I don’t give up easy.”

“Right now I’m the man of the house; I’m providing for my family while we’re in the midst of moving. I just do what is necessary to help my mom. My main focus is to make sure that my mom and my sisters are okay.”

Jordan plans to complete an Advanced Manufacturing degree at MSCC, study mechanical engineering at a four-year institution, and eventually help design airplane engines. He is currently in the process of restoring a1978 Mercedes Benz 240 diesel automobile with guidance from his father.

“I’ve always loved to build stuff, ever since I was a little kid,” he said. “I had a little Lego set and would sit around and build things. It’s been a gift to some degree, but I have to work at it. I can’t just wake up and say I can change an engine on a Volvo S80.

You have to sit down with a book and go through it. You can’t design anything without learning how it works.”

Jordan said he loves learning and applying what he learns.

“I hit the books at night. I don’t go out and party or hang out with people. I go home and figure out how things work. If I don’t know something today, I’ll have it the next day. I’m going to go home and find out everything I can about it.”

Students interested in the Hino Motors Manufacturing Scholarship should contact their local community college for information. In addition to MSCC, Arkansas Northeastern College, Arkansas State University-Newport, East Arkansas Community College, and Phillips Community College of the University of Arkansas are participating in the program.

Hino Motors, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, is a member of the Toyota group and employs approximately 25,000 team members worldwide. The company established its first U.S. facility in 2003 and expanded into Arkansas in 2006. The company produces complete assembly of buses, trucks, cars, and manufactures automotive components which are consumed throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment